* Pay a visit to the Museu de Ciencias Naturais (Natural Science Museum) to see unique animal skeletons and fossils native to Brazil and the surrounding forests.
* Head to the top of Alta Vila Tower. The faint of heart can enjoy beautiful city views while the more adventurous bungee jump from the top.
* Visit the Museu de Artes e Ofícios (Museum of Arts and Crafts) in the old Central Train Station from the 19th century. The art inside shows the richness of Brazil?s artistic heritage before industrialization.
* Enjoy the greenery of Parque Municipal, including small lagoons where you can rent boats or feed ducks. It has plenty of places to play around, including the so called ?crazy house.?
* Visit the neighborhood of Pampulha, home to some of Brazil?s best modern architecture, and don?t miss the São Francisco de Assis Church, which was so shocking to the Vatican that Church authorities refused to consecrate it for over a decade after it was built.
When to go
Belo Horizonte's climate is mild throughout the year, making the city a great place to vacation at any time. The winters (Jun-Aug) are dry while summers (Dec-Feb) are rainier.
How to get there
BH can be reached easily and cheaply by bus from most cities in Brazil. It is 10 hours from Brasilia, 7 from Rio, and 8 from Sao Paolo. Buses in Brazil are inexpensive, reliable, and comfortable, making them the perfect option for backpackers and students. For travelers not on a budget or who simply want to save time traveling, airlines also fly domestic to one of BH?s two airports, Confins or Pampulha.
US Citizens require a visa in order to enter Brazil. Citizens of Israel, Great Britain, and most EU countries do not require a visa for a stay of up to 90 days. If you are in doubt about whether you require a visa to enter Brazil, check online or with your embassy.
At restaurants a service charge of approximately 10% is generally added to the bill. It is always identified that this charge is not obligatory, and any more than this is certainly not expected. Taxi drivers do not expect to be tipped, but fares may be rounded up to the nearest Real so no one has to deal with change.